This exciting community project has been developed by the Friends of Brixham Library, in partnership with Brixham museum and a wide selection of local organisations. The successful application for funding from the National Lottery will enable the project to commemorate the outbreak of The Great War, its impact on Brixham and its continuing legacy, and to ensure that future generations will continue to recognise the sacrifices made.
The two year project will include:
- Artist workshops and activities with Paul Bennet to create a “triptych” – culminating in an exhibition at Brixham Library.
- Volunteer training and open day session in archive research techniques – To add to our understanding of home/war service and local impact to fishing industry and everyday life.
- Drama workshops with South Devon Players culminating in a production of the play “The Provident” written by David Murphy.
- Publication of Lawrence Lake’s illustrated war time diary – Teachers’ packs – Project booklet – Booklet.
- Refurbishment of Brixham Museum WWI display.
- Mobile exhibition.
- Consolidation of Museum archive and artefacts.
- Dedicated Roll of Honour on Museum website.
- Tours of St Marys Churchyard to investigate the war dead buried there.
Click here for more information about the exhibit at Brixham Museum.
Louise Cresswell, Projects Coordinator, Brixham Museum,